Updated: Jan 19
With the advent of Over-the-top services, filmmakers now have a number of options to sell and distribute their content. With every video streaming service having a diverse viewership nowadays, having subscribers of all kinds, from different regions, and even countries, filmmakers now are a step closer to ensure that their content reaches the right audience.
The Ever-growing OTT Market
With the country going into lockdown in early 2020 due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, OTTs in India have seen a tremendous rise in subscribers. There has been a 30% rise in paid subscribers between March and July 2020 (source: ibef.org). Even before the Pandemic took over, due to the increased and easy accessibility to the internet and smartphones, popularity for top, as well as several regional OTTs, had started to stretch. And in the coming years, when technology is only expected to be more advanced and accessible to a larger population, the OTT scene in India is only expected to bloom.
This leaves filmmakers and content creators, not just with a handful of options, but much more than they can keep track of, providing them with a well-made audience base for their content.
So, if you are a filmmaker looking to sell your content, here is a list of some of the most popular OTT Platforms in India, that openly support Independent Filmmakers by providing them a home for their content.
1. Netflix: Streaming in more than 30 languages and 190 countries, Netflix is one of the most popular online video streaming platforms. A pool of diverse content, panning across genres, Netflix as a platform actively supports independent as well as art cinema. Needless to mention, it is filmmakers’ most sought-after platform to get their content on.
How to connect with Netflix: Netflix India has appointed agencies for the fulfillment of its creative requirements.
Quality Check and Tech Fulfillment: https://npfp.netflixstudios.com/
It's best to reach out to Acquisition Team in Netflix for your completed films.
2. Disney + Hotstar: Owned and operated by Star India, Hotstar is India’s one of the first video-on-demand streaming services. In 2019, it integrated with international streaming brand Disney + and became Disney + Hotstar. As a platform that gained its popularity in the Indian market primarily because of IPL, it currently offers over 1,00,000 hours of movies and television content across 9 languages, and every major sport covered live.
How to reach: Acquisition Team
3. Amazon Prime Video: Another American over-the-top streaming and rental service, Amazon Prime Video gives access to thousands of titles to all its Prime members across the globe. It offers the cheapest subscription rate in India as compared to its global prices, which is why it is also the second most subscribed OTT platform in India.
How to reach: Acquisition Team
If you wish to syndicate your film on Amazon prime yourselves, then you need an account on Prime Video Direct, and a presence in either UK or USA with a local bank account and address.
4. MX Player: A video streaming service of Times Internet, MX Player currently has a streaming library of over 150,000 hours across 12 languages. The platform offers a large collection of movies, TV shows, music videos, web series and even short films!
How to reach: Acquisitions Team, or Creative Team (For Scripts)
5. SonyLiv: Owned by Sony Pictures Networks India Pvt Ltd, SonyLiv has so far been a host to some of India’s greatest web content like Scam 1992: The Harshad Mehta S